Track & Field

Syracuse breaks two school records in weekend meets

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Freddie Crittenden won another race in his first event since setting the school record in the 110-meters.

Two school records and three first place finishes marked a successful set of meets for the Orange track and field team this weekend. Freddie Crittenden kicked things off for Syracuse at the Yellow Jacket Challenge in Atlanta on Friday. In his first event since his school record 110-meter hurdles run at the Miami Hurricane Alumni Invitational, Crittenden cruised to another victory in the event with a time of 13.66 seconds. He finished an impressive five tenths of a second faster than the second place finisher, former Syracuse track and field runner Ramon Sosa.

The next day’s events in Atlanta saw another Syracuse first place finish, this time coming in the Women’s 4×100 meters relay. The team of Justice Richardson, Kadejhia Sellers, Victoria Parker, and Dasia Pressley finished with a time of 45.23 seconds, a new school record. Later in the day Sellers was back on the track, this time for the 400-meter dash. She showed no signs of fatigue, smashing the school record in the event by 0.44 seconds. Her time of 52.88 seconds earned her second place in the event and broke Sandy McFarland’s record, which had stood for 21 years. On Saturday Justyn Knight won the third race of the weekend for the Orange, finishing first in the 1500 meters at the Virginia Challenge with a time of 3:42.11. It was Knight’s first race since the NCAA Indoor Championships in March.

The men’s 4×100 meters relay immediately followed the women’s event and led by Crittenden, Syracuse finished second behind home team Georgie Tech. The Orange finished the day in Atlanta with a third place finish in the women’s 4×400.

On Friday, Syracuse had two top 10 finishers in the women’s 100-meter hurdles as Danielle Delgado’s career-best time placed her sixth and teammate Tia Thevenin finished two hundredths of a second behind in seventh. Junior Victoria Parker finished seventh in the 200-meter dash while Winston Lee took seventh in the 100 on the men’s side. Syracuse also garnered two top 10 finishes in field events, as Aviana Goode’s 1.63 meter jump in the high jump earned her sixth and Regine Hunter’s 11.30 meter performance in the triple jump placed her seventh.

In addition to Knight’s first place finish in the 1500-meter, the Virginia Challenge also saw Paige Stoner finish fifth for the women in the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 10:22.17. Stoner was back on the track late Saturday for 5000 meters, finishing in 16:10.91, good for eighth place. Philo Germano lead the way for the Syracuse men in the event, finishing seventh in 13:56.27.

Finally, Syracuse also had runners at Princeton for the Larry Ellis invitational on Friday and Saturday. Adam Palamar led the way for the Orange, finishing third in the 1500-meters with a time of 3:43.02. Sydney Leiher notched another top 10 finish for Syracuse in the steeplechase with a seventh-place run.