Tennis

Miranda Ramirez, Gabriela Knutson enter season ranked in singles and doubles

Codie Yan | Staff Photographer

Miranda Ramirez rode a 12-game winning streak en route to a 15-6 record in her freshman season. She opens the year ranked No. 59.

Syracuse’s Gabriela Knutson and Miranda Ramirez are both ranked in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s preseason rankings released Tuesday afternoon.

Though the season starts in the spring, the ITA releases one fall ranking each year. Knutson and Ramirez, who both finished last season ranked in singles, are ranked in both singles and doubles.

Knutson, a junior, slots in as the No. 38 singles player with Ramirez, a sophomore, coming in at No. 59. In doubles, the Knutson-Ramirez pairing is ranked No. 47.

Both players have moved up from last season’s final ranks in which Knutson was ranked No. 72 and Ramirez finished unranked.

While the pair spent time ranked in doubles last season, they did not end the season in the doubles rankings.

Syracuse finished 2017 with an 8-14 record, 5-9 in Atlantic Coast Conference play. A year after reaching the NCAA Round of 32, the Orange fell in the first round of the ACC Tournament to Louisville, 5-2.

Ramirez led SU in wins last season, riding a 12-match winning streak en route to a 15-6 record. Knutson finished 11-10. In doubles, the pairing went 9-7 at No. 1 doubles.

SU returns the players who played all but one of its matches last season. Valeria Salazar, who played just one match before missing the season with a wrist injury, is the only player who played last season not on the roster for this year because she graduated.