Women's Soccer

Syracuse dominates Fairfield, 3-0, for 4th victory in 2017

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

Sophomore forward Sydney Brackett scores a goal againt Fairfield on Sunday, one of SU's three scores on the day.

In the third minute, freshman Kate Donovan took her shot. As she gained possession, her foot made contact, sending the ball in a perfect arc to sail to the top left corner of the net.

Donovan’s early goal set the momentum for Syracuse (4-1-1) to dominate Fairfield (2-3-0) Sunday afternoon at SU Soccer Stadium, 3-0. The strong showing on offense helped the Orange get its fourth win in six games.

“When we scored we actually started to gain more momentum,” SU head coach Phil Wheddon said. “Usually the other team comes back quite quickly. For us, I thought we got possession of the ball better after the goal.”

Because of Fairfield’s scheme, SU played between their midfield and back lines for a large portion of the game. This, Wheddon said, allowed the Orange the time and space on the field. Syracuse shot 12 times, scoring on 25 percent of its attempts.  

“We moved the ball quite well from side to side,” Wheddon said, “and we’re dangerous playing forward.”

090317_wsoc_allymoreo_pe-26

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

The danger of SU’s forwards was on full display, as they scored two of the three goals of the game. Donovan and Sydney Brackett’s goals bookended the three-goal game, with Brackett’s goal coming in the 54th minute of the game.

Brackett was coming back from tracking back on the right hand side as Fairfield’s defense bounced the ball around the box in an attempt to clear it. Brackett sent the ball above the Fairfield goalie’s head and into the back of the net for her fourth goal so far this season and her first career goal at home.  

“The biggest thing for me this year has just been finding that closure,” Brackett said. “You’re going to get chances as a forward all of the time, every game, but making the most of them, capitalizing on them and settling nerves in the box is really huge for me.”

Between Donovan’s and Brackett’s goals was sophomore Carolin Bader’s goal off of a corner kick at the end of the first half. Senior Jessica Vigna sent the ball toward the scrum in front of the net. Bader made contact with her head, knocking it into the net for the second of 20 corner kick SU has capitalized on in 2017.

“Set pieces decide games,” Wheddon said. “You can have the best designed plays in the world but if the service isn’t there, it doesn’t matter. Jessie’s ball in today was a fantastic service and Carolin had a great header.”

090317_wsoc_allymoreo_pe-22

Alexandra Moreo | Photo Editor

Minutes after Bader’s goal, Sheridan Street entered the game. After only a minute on the field, she was holding on the ball when she went down and had to be carried off the field. Wheddon said Street believes she rolled her ankle.

“I’m disappointed, she’s disappointed, the teams disappointed and we’re hoping she will be back on the field,” Wheddon said.

SU played all 23 members of the team, including backup goalie Lysianne Proulx, who entered after SU was up 3-0. Proulx faced zero shots on goal. Syracuse’s starting goalie Courtney Brosnan need to make only one save.

“It’s really important to have fun while playing,” sophomore defender Taylor Bennett said. “You have to be disciplined and I think we did a good job with being disciplined.”