Softball

Syracuse sweeps doubleheader vs. Colgate

Joe Zhao | Asst. Photo Editor

Following three losses against Clemson last weekend, Syracuse swept its doubleheader versus Colgate.

Lindsey Hendrix’s back was against the wall in game one of Syracuse’s doubleheader against Colgate. The game was tied 1-1 and the bases were loaded in the top of the ninth, the second extra inning, with no outs. Hendrix pitched all eight innings before that point, allowing just one run to cross the plate. But the Raiders had a prime opportunity to take the lead and continue SU’s losing streak.

Elizabeth Nitka hit a ground ball that was fielded cleanly by Mackenzie Foster at second, but her throw was low to catcher Laila Morales-Alves. Yet, Morales-Alves lurched forward and picked the ball at home to get a much-needed first out of the inning. Hendrix then got Nora Megenity to pop out to third and, with the next pitch, got Rachel Carney to fly out.

“I was actually kinda stressed the whole time,” Hendrix said. “Coach (Doepking) always says, ‘Just make one good pitch.’ That was the one thing going through my head (in that moment).”

Colgate’s threat was thwarted, giving Syracuse a walkoff opportunity in the bottom half of the frame. After the Orange loaded the bases, Madelyn Lopez was hit by a Bailey Misken pitch, bringing home the winning run.

Following Syracuse’s (18-17, 4-11 Atlantic Coast Conference) extra-innings win in game one, it defeated Colgate (13-23, 3-6 Patriot League) 3-1, securing a doubleheader sweep. After suffering a three-game sweep versus Clemson last weekend, SU won two much-needed games versus the Raiders to sustain pace in clinching a spot in the ACC Tournament.

“It shows a lot from this team,” Madison Knight said on the importance of bouncing back from last weekend. “We have a lot of fight left in us and we’re gonna give it all we have until the last game.”

After a scoreless two innings to start the doubleheader, SU cashed in on an error to take a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the third. Gabby Lantier singled to third and advanced to second on a bad throw by Nitka. Two batters later, Angel Jasso brought her home on a sac fly.

Hendrix and Misken dominated from the hill, but the Raiders knotted the game 1-1 in the top of the sixth. Kiley Shelton sent the first pitch of the inning deep to right center, clearing the wall for her team-leading seventh home run of the season.

In the bottom of the sixth, Syracuse had a prime chance to regain the lead. Pinch hitter Knight stepped in with the bases loaded and one out. Though she grounded into a fielder’s choice, with the force out coming at home plate. Then, pinch hitter Angie Ramos flew out to left, squandering the opportunity.

Neither team scored in the seventh, causing the contest to go into extra innings. With runners on second and third with two outs in the top of the eighth inning, Kara Fusco nailed a hard ground ball. Hendrix was able to stab it with her glove and robbed what seemed to be a sure single.

After the Raiders silenced the Orange in the bottom of the frame, Hendrix stopped a threat in the top of the ninth, setting up Syracuse’s walk-off. Both pitchers pitched complete games as Hendrix gave up five hits and struck out seven. Misken finished with seven hits against and four strikeouts.

“You just have to really lock in, which is kind of hard to deal with for such a long time,” Hendrix said of pitching nine innings. “Just staying in my own business and doing my own thing helps with those situations.”

As they did in the first game, the Orange scored first in game two. With the bases loaded in the bottom of the second, Tessa Galipeau drew a walk, tallying Syracuse’s first run.

Colgate loaded the bases looking to answer back in the top of the third, but Knight struck out back-to-back batters maintaining SU’s 1-0 lead. After the pivotal moment, Knight screamed as she walked to the dugout.

In the bottom of the frame, Kelly Breen mashed her first home run of the season off the scoreboard, extending Syracuse’s lead to 2-0.

The Raiders answered in the top of the fourth as Quinn Livesay doubled and then scored on an error by SU third baseman Peyton Schemmer two batters later. Syracuse’s lead was cut to 2-1.

But again, the Orange came storming back. In the blink of an eye, Galipeau clobbered a line-drive home run to right-center, pushing SU’s lead back up to two.

Julianna Verni replaced Knight in the circle in the fifth and quickly blanked Colgate. After a scoreless sixth from both sides, Verni closed the game in the seventh. Colgate threatened with two runners aboard, but Verni set down the next two batters to seal the sweep.

“It’s just consistent hitting and believing in each other,” Knight said. “And knowing we can all get it done.”